Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The new basics

Everyone knows the basic kinds of shoes a girl (or guy) can have: Converse, Vans (slip-ons or sneakers), flat boots, and--if you're in California like me--Rainbow flip-flips. I own all of these, but I've been trying to step things up a notch. Presenting Louise's new basics! All should be available online right now, in fact--on a college kid's budget. Lucky you.



First come my silver flats form Urban Outfitters. I love these for the color: they're not an obvious, Tin Man silver, but more of a muted pewter. They make even the most casual outfit a little more interesting (see my last post for what usually constitutes for my casual days). The only problem I had with them was that I dented the slightly pointed toes, but that can probably be avoided by people who aren't as klutzy as me (i.e., most people).



Pair #2 would be my fringed sandals, also from Urban. I saw these and fell in love/hate at first site. For some reason, I am extremely drawn to things that look "weird", including this sandal that appears to be the love child of one of Kate Moss's (or Serena van der Woodsen's, if you really want to go there) Minnetonka boots and a gladiator sandal. I always found sandals boring, so the only way, for me, to make them more interesting without doing the actual gladiator sandal thing (I haven't seen any that aren't too strappy for me... I'm picky) is having swingy fringe. Kind of like the bangs I wish I had. Or a mop. Or one of those things that slaps against your car in a car wash.




Finally, my platform heels from Old Navy. I got multiple compliments on these shoes and I've received interesting comments upon telling people they're from Old Navy. If you've been reading fashion blogs in the past month or two, you've probably already seen the wedges that ON came out with in three colors; however, I already have similar wedges, so I stuck with the heels. I love, love, love, platform heels because everyone is in awe over how high they are--little do many people know, the front platform decreases the angle that your foot is from the ground, meaning you feel less pain than you would in the average stilettos. The higher, the better. Also, I love how these work with brown or black outfits (although they also come in an ivory color). Even more good news: they're on sale.

Unrelated to shoes...

I have proof (from my phone) that SoCal has consumed my soul:

It's my new piercing! I heart Outer Limits in Costa Mesa.

Walking from Outer Limits to South Coast Plaza:


4 comments:

Gil said...

Ho!






...jk ;D

Anonymous said...

really like the fringe ones..

i just got these:
http://www.pixiemarket.com/store/shoes-c-5.html?zenid=49fca53a889436366003d98e78c01046

Fashion Is Poison said...

the fringed ones are great!

omg i got my navel pierced in HS and fainted!

KATLIN said...

Yeah, Old Navy's shoes have been looking way cute! My feet are really small so I can't fit in them though. :(